Media Advocacy is the use of the as a resource for advancing a social or public policy initiative.
- You can earn access to news media with your good work
- Paid ads can be useful springboards
- Public Service Announcements (PSAs) offer little control for timing or content
- PSAs offer no guarantees about when they are aired or who sees them
- Earned media puts you in the driver's seat
Or, how to ensure access to the media
- Is the information timely?
- Does your story have proximity?
- Is there human interest? Built-in conflict?
- Is it unusual or off the beaten path?
- Is the source credible?
- Do you have needed statistics?
Or, how to improve access and content
- Creative epidemiology, localizing, piggybacking
- Media bites
- Providing excellent written or visual materials
- Available and interesting spokespeople