SAMHSA announces the publication of TIP 44: Substance Abuse Treatment for Adults in the Criminal Justice System . Produced through SAMHSA's Knowledge Application Program (KAP), this 337-page guide is written for substance abuse counselors, clinicians, and administrators working in programs that treat clients in the criminal justice system. Developed and reviewed by more than 80 substance abuse treatment and criminal justice experts, the information in TIP 44 will help treatment providers work more effectively with both offender and ex-offender clients and improve collaboration between the substance abuse treatment and criminal justice systems.
The information in TIP 44 applies to both clients in correctional institutions and those on probation, parole, or pretrial release. For many people, contact with the criminal justice system is their first opportunity for substance abuse treatment. Their substance use may be diagnosed for the first time, and legal incentives sometimes motivate these individuals to begin their recovery. For other offenders, arrest and incarceration are part of a recurring cycle of drug abuse and crime. Ingrained patterns may require more intensive treatment approaches. TIP 44 addresses the full range of treatment interventions to meet the diverse needs of this client population.
The following areas are addressed in terms of criminal justice populations:
- Screening and assessment, including special populations (e.g., ethnic/racial minorities, cultural groups, women, violent offenders, older inmates, disabled inmates, sex offenders, people with co-occurring mental and substance use disorders) and their concerns (e.g., sexual orientation, literacy, learning disabilities)
- Triage, placement, and treatment matching for new clients from the criminal justice system
- Treatment planning (options in the criminal justice system)
- Major concerns in treating offenders and best practices for addressing these concerns
- Treatment needs and strategies for individuals involved specifically in pretrial diversion, jail, prison, and community supervision settings
- Issues that frame effective programming and coordination between the criminal justice and substance abuse treatment settings
TIP 44 may be ordered free of charge from SAMHSA's National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI). Ask for publication order number BKD526.
Phone: 800-729-6686 or 301-468-2600; TDD (for hearing impaired): 800-487-4889; toll free ( Hablamos Español ): 877-767-8432.